If you know me or follow this blog, you know about a year and a half ago a Goldendoodle named Millie (that’s her on the right, LOL) stole my heart. I call her my “grandpup,” since her mum is my daughter, Erin ((on the left, ‘natch).
I’ve always been (and always will be) mostly a cat person. But this puppy pulls at my heartstrings, and it turns out, happily, that she loves me as much as I love her.
It also turns out I’m not alone. Author and interior designer Susanna Salk profiles for us 21 fellow designers and the pooches they pamper in her latest book, At Home with Dogs and Their Designers (that’s it in the middle!), and it’s a delight even a diehard cat person like me can love.
Though Rizzoli released the title this past October, I spent a few months undecided about whether or not to buy it for Erin, who’s become quite the decorating diva since buying her first home just a month before Millie came into her life. And making room for poochie without sacrificing style is an ongoing challenge, though her style (and mine) are nowhere near the high end where these designers and their dogs dwell.
Designers profiled with their dog(s) include such household names (in my house anyway, LOL!) as Jonathan Adler, Martyn Lawrence Bullard, Brian McCarthy, Michelle Nussbaumer, Charlotte Moss, Kelly Wearstler, and Bunny Williams, to name just a few. Each profile tells how people and pooches found each other, how they get along in their extreme décor environments, and tips on living the uber-stylish life in tandem.
Some owners tell their dog’s story for them, while others step aside to let the dogs wag the tale. The result is a truly delightful mix of the magic that happens when pets capture our hearts, souls, and of course, take over our homes.
And, of course, there are tons of gorgeous photos inside the private homes of the designers we all love. Thanks go to photographer Stacey Bewkes for the lion’s share of these.
Emerging themes? Dogs rule. They are family members and treated with as much give, take and love as any partner or child. Which, I daresay, is as it should be.
My only question is, how long must I wait before At Home with Designers and Their CATS debuts? One thing’s for sure: It’s probably the cats holding up the show, right?
At least that’s what Millie told me. Isn’t she adorable?
I would have reviewed this book sooner so YOU could order as a holiday gift for the designing dog-lover in your life, but I didn’t want to give away the surprise to Erin and Millie. I only hope that seeing how some pups live doesn’t make yours (and mine) too demanding. That decadent dog’s life can be addictive.
If you want more (& how could you NOT?!!)…
- Follow the links below to browse and/or order your very own copy of this book and others by Susanna Salk.
- Check out the Architectural Digest review of this book.
- Follow photographer Stacey Bewkes’ design blog, Quintessence and read what she has to say about photographing this fun project.
- Check out author and designer Susanna Salk’s website.
- Shop (and follow!) both my Etsy and ebay stores for vintage finds, a few of my boho DIYs, and next-to-new surplus home decor. New merchandise gets added regularly, so check both places often.
- Sign up to have BoHo Home posts sent to your inbox using the subscription link in the sidebar (top right). Or follow with Bloglovin, a social-media platform that allows you to set up an account and access all the blogs you want to read in one place.
- Find additional content from BoHo Home on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram, Google+, and Houzz, and give me a follow EVERYWHERE!! The more the merrier at this very merry time of year!